Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"I DO"

So, today I was at the Doctors' and over heard an " I do". Usually one can associate an "I Do" with marriage vows...at least I do! Suddenly I had a moment after hearing those words.

Life is all about realising and feeling the different phases. And there is always a knock on your door to tell you, "hey gal, you are well in you next phase of life now". By this, I don't mean that if you marry, or have kids or graduate- thats a knock. A knock will always be very subtle and will hit you straight in your heart. Today, when I had this so called knock, I realized that there will be this phase in life which most of us, if alive, will go through and dear its  not very pretty. In this phase, we will know that no matter what, we are all gonna be a 'ticking time bomb'. Yes I am talking about the Old age! And yes, I also know there is no point fearing death and that all of us have to Die. But, just imagine, when we run a blood test or an MRI or anything of that sort, our hearts pound till we know its all good. Because that one bad news can turn us into a 'ticking bomb' and can devastate us. But to naturally reach there is very different. Its almost like, ok this is what happens, so just accept it!

Now, let me tell you about the " I do". I have been booking several doctor appointments of late, and just when they verify all my insurance and blah blah details, they also ask me if I am having a living will. I very casually without a thought say " No". It's a different thing that I hardly have anything to even think of making a will, and that very word 'will', seems like it's only for the pre-ghost period. So, today an old lady walked into the Doctors office, she was barely vertical. The receptionist, as usual, with her many questions asked her,"Mam, do you have a living will?" and she very subtly said, "I DO". It was then that the knock came to me and I couldn't help but wonder, how would it be for a person to say this "I do " as a part of their routine life. As-though the receptionist has already checked that box before hand. To know that the whole world knows about your dreadfull illness(OLD AGE) and they are so prepared for you to Die can be so hopeless and unacceptable! And, as if the wrinkles weren't telling enough, the receptionist needs to knock and make you answer that "I do" in her multiple questionnaire form!
We all dream of the "I do" I had mentioned earlier, but surely not this one!

7 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow Nits..It sure is a profound post and a post that actually makes you think..Very true that we treat old age as some sort of disease..I can only imagine the thoughts that must be going on in that old lady' head..But then again, maybe she si immune to the questions I guess! Good post..Keep writing nitsvitz :)

Nitsvitz said...

Tnkq Natasha for the very first comment of appreciation:)

Dimple said...

Sorry I couldn't resist. Your post is so profound and insightful. As Nat's said it makes us think.. I love the way you wrote .Awesome one. Keep up the good work.Welcome to the blog world. :D

Sameeksha Bansal said...

Tini!! Brilliant! The simple phrase has so many connotations! True, that the first one that comes to the mind is the wedding vow. After the vow it is always "I do" huh!
Wife: Do you love me?
Husband: I do.

Husband: Don't you love cooking for me.
Wife: I do.

But jokes apart, I really enjoyed the post.

Sameeksha Bansal said...

Tini!! Brilliant! The simple phrase has so many connotations! True, that the first one that comes to the mind is the wedding vow. After the vow it is always "I do" huh!
Wife: Do you love me?
Husband: I do.

Husband: Don't you love cooking for me.
Wife: I do.

But jokes apart, I really enjoyed the post.

Nitsvitz said...

@Rambling Of A Single Girl In The City..
Why are you sorry that you couldn't resist! I shall take that as a compliment...I hope you continue to not resist. Thanks a lot for the kind appreciation. Really understand now what Nats means by saying that all this is very encouraging.

Nitsvitz said...

@Simi love ya gal! You are a sweetheart! btw..How is your column going on? haven't seen one for long. sent me the link.